Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sickly

This week I was sick for the first time in a very long time.  I don't mean long time as in six or eight months; I mean long time as in 3+ years.  I cannot even REMEMBER the last time I felt truly "sick."  It blows! It started on Monday night with a light sore throat after a spectacular day of workouts (2 runs and a huge swim).  Went to bed that night thinking nothing more of it then woke up on Tuesday morning and knew something was off; sore throat was still there and I had the definite signs of a mild fever.  Luckily, Moose's mom was coming to visit that day so it was perfect timing (best way to meet someone new is to not feel like yourself...not)! Fast forward through the day and that night was terrible; the fever was at it's peak and I felt like dying would be the preferable option to laying on the floor sweating profusely (then getting cold, then getting hot...etc).  The next morning it was better and I went to the doctor (or rather, was driving to the doctor since I'm obviously out of my element way out yonder! Moose's friend Peter carted me to urgent care; thanks again PB!) the doctor said I had a virus that just needed to pass on it's own.

LAME! Gimme drugs.  Just kidding, I'm definitely not one to over-medicate.  I try to use medicine as little as possible and I think that and other measures are what keep my immune system so strong.  Getting sick once every 3-5 years isn't so bad when you think about it.  It reminds me that I'm merely human.  Sometimes, I think I am more than that so it's good to be taken down a peg or two.

I started feeling better on Friday and on Saturday and Sunday did some light workouts.  Basically a less than ideal week of training but perhaps it will prove worthwhile for B2B (maybe some forced rest does the body good?).  Anyway, I feel better now although I think Moose is still scared to be around me (or maybe that's just her convenient excuse...).  I head home to Charlotte on Thursday, drive to Wilmington Friday, race Saturday.  Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.  Last race of the year!

No comments: