Monday, April 21, 2008

Boston Marathon

Following today's Boston Marathon has made me insanely jealous. I NEED to do a marathon at some point this year. The bug has completely bit. Right now I'm obviously not in the right shape to start actually training for a marathon that would likely come later this fall but hopefully in the next couple of months I can maintain the decent base I've built these past 3.5 months. The longest run I've done is still just 16 miles (one on the roads and one on trails) so that will certainly need to be increased.

My pipe dream time for a relatively flat marathon would be sub 3; preferably closer to around 2:55ish. That's just under 7min/mi pace.

Running has been going well; I've been alternating higher mileage weeks with 2 lower mileage weeks to make sure that I don't overtrain or injure myself. As I start to get more and more used to running 40+ miles a week I think I'll begin upping my mileage. Right now there are only 5ks and 4 milers on the horizon so 60-70 mile weeks are kind of pointless. I feel pretty fast right now, even when compared to just a month or so ago.

I'm running the CPCC Skyline 5k run this Saturday with the goal of going under 18. I had the same goal before the last 5k in Athens but it was both uncompetitive and hilly. This one will be neither of those, I think. So we'll see how it goes.

No comments: