Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Not sure what to blog about

Probably my favorite shot from CHOO, wish those cars weren't there!

There have been some notable happenings since the last time I blogged. I do love blogging - don't get me wrong - but I run out of things to talk about. While this may be a surprise to you it is very frustrating for me. I don't really write "for" anybody (except You, yes you!) but I do like keeping a regular schedule of blogging. I pride myself on trying to maintain some sense of predictability and some unique viewpoints all expressed in relatively well written and grammar'd 'murrican English.

So when I find myself at a loss for what is worth putting into the blogger.com template and firing up the "publish" button I am a bit sad.  Right now...I am sad.

The last time I posted I was about to head to Chattanooga.  There was an IM there.  It was a good day for almost everybody I knew, though most of my personal interest was invested in Lori Ackerman's race.  It was very satisfying to see somebody work hard, make smart decisions and be rewarded with a great race on race-day.

There were many others I knew who had great races and I don't feel compelled to list all of them because chances are if you are "friends" with me (on Facebook, Twitter, etc... a REAL friend I mean) you've had all the races plastered on your news feed from the past week.  Nonetheless, I was proud of everyone. That is an understatement.

Watching the race solidified my plans for next year a bit.  I'm gonna be honest with all of you.  I feel - for the most part - as though triathlon itself is no longer a "challenge" per se.  I know that on the face of it that sounds rather presumptuous but I mean that prior sentence in the context of something other than the obvious.

At this point I do not feel as though sprints, olympics or halves are a "challenge" in and of themselves.  The challenge for me is to try and win or set new standards of my own capabilities. I am always trying to go FASTER.  With IM, however, I am simply trying to finish.  For various reasons my attempts in 2010 and 2013 failed. I do not like some THING being better than me.  Seeing all those people last Sunday conquer their fears and realize their "dreams" makes me want to have that same feeling. I just do not get it at a half anymore.

That is not say I do not feel "accomplished" when I finish a half having raced my guts out, it's simply stating that just FINISHING the damn IM seems to be the challenge for me. I like challenges. I don't like things being "better" than me. I am lazily trying to beat things. That is what I do. Oh you have a fit problem? I will beat it. You sent me a long email?? I WILL SEND YOU A LONGER ONE! It's what I do.

So, that's a hint of what's to come in 2015. Gonna be a nice little variety.

1) Cat 2 Upgrade
2) Win some XTERRAs
3) Finish a stupid IM
4) Don't get hit by any more cars

Not necessarily in that order or priority.

In the short term I am going to attempt to get some more training in before Miami 70.3 because that is less than three weeks away!


No comments: