Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A few of my favorite things

Since I don't have anything else better to do and the swim this morning wore out my arms such that the only position in which they are comfortable is resting in my lap(top) I figured the best option would be to peruse music videos on youtube and post some of my recent favorites.  To be perfectly honest, I can't imagine that anyone else out there that reads this would want anything other than this.  My music tastes are generally regarded as the best in the entire world so I'm fairly confident in saying that everyone relies on me for where to get their music.  It's a burden that I'm willing to shoulder, despite its thankless nature, because I know that when the going gets tough, the tough get going.  And here I am, getting going.  There were no grammatical issues whatsoever in that last sentence.  Don't worry about it.


This is a guy I'd never heard of until he came on AltNation a couple of months ago.  When the song initially started playing I was thinking it was gonna be some Format-ish indie alt-rock or something.  Then, the electronic beauty washed over my ears and I decided that this was possibly the most interesting song I'd heard in a long time.  There's nothing really crazy special about it, just the fact that it's such an odd mix of music genres.  It's pretty rare to hear someone with DeLong's vocals (I assume that's who is singing, I could be wrong) singing along to a pretty funky electronic beat.  Anyway, I dig it.


I definitely dig this song a lot.  It's a little poppy but I really like the bass line.  That plus the lead singers vocals are really what got me into this one.  In the interest of full disclosure, there is  TON of making out in this video.  Chicks and dudes.  Chicks and chicks.  Dudes and dudes.  It's...interesting.


Alright, I'm gonna geek out big time.  The first time I heard this song was when watching the trailer for Assassin's Creed: Revelations.  The trailer itself is totally badass.  The main character of the game (Ezio) is this super awesome assassin and the video is all about him wreaking some havoc on some baddies.  It's pretty epic.  So despite the kind of slow-ness of this song it gets me jacked up because I imagine doing some damage to my enemies in a totally assassin-ish way.  Plus, the drum beat is sweet.


This is another one of those times where the music video seems to have no connection to the song itself.  Definitely a nod to my general fan of "pop-y" music but I really like the trumpet (?) in the background.  Plus, it's short.  If you've only got one good song (at least on this album, in my opinion), best to make it awesome and short. 'Nuff said.


I'm gonna be that guy and say that I liked Muse well before they got really big.  I believe it started my senior year of college when my roomie Seth (or maybe Jeremy? I don't remember) sent me the youtube video of "Knights of Cydonia."  Of subsequent Guitar Hero (III Legends of Rock, for the curious) fame, Knights of Cydonia is one of the most epic songs, ever.  Look up that video if you've never seen it because it is nothing short of spectacular.  Madness is another great Muse song: big, epic guitar riffs, huge vocals, epic-ness all over.  Slow and steady to a big, loud finish...


I think one of the Wurtele's used this song in a video they made earlier this year.  Cheerful, awesome, etc.

Now, none of these songs are necessarily "get me as jacked up as possible to crush this next interval or whatever," but they all have their purpose.  Maybe the get jacked up music list will be next...


No comments: