Monday, March 12, 2012

Hottest Female Triathletes 2012

Training was a bit pathetic this week so I don't really want to discuss it too much.  Suffice it to say I got in less than half of the volume of two weeks ago.  I think this was in part due to traveling across most of the country on Monday, having trouble sleeping, and adjusting to a new schedule during the week.  Sunday was the first day I felt "good" all week.  I was "dragging ass" as Brian would say (and did say).

All that being said, I was excited to race Corporate Cup 5k this Saturday.  I thought the course was pretty fast (and maybe it is for faster people!) so I was hoping to get in 5:15s and come in somewhere in the 16:30 range or just below.  I did not, however, achieve those goals.  My official time of 17:14 left much to be desired, although second place was 17:5x so there wasn't too much competition. I don't think my goals were totally out of line; I'm in very good running shape right now (I may not be really FAST but I am certainly fitter than this time last year) but hoped to perform well.  Last year in the opening 5k of the May Day Biathlon I ran a 16:32 on a flat course (garmin said it was accurate distance-wise) and the next month a 16:35 on the track (with a 50+ mile ride in my legs from earlier in the day) so I know I'm capable of sub 16:30.  I'll have to wait until the June time frame to put my money where my mouth is, however.

The race recap for the 5k goes something like this:

Sprint to front at start and set a torrid pace (I just wanted to use that word); one guy came with me but after about 1/2 mile I couldn't hear him anymore (he was probably doing the half).  Continue pressing on downhill-ish to mile 1 (race clock said 4:45 but they must have started late as Garmin chirped at 5:05 or so).  Keep going until right turn on West and another right on Mint which began the uphill/headwind section.  Nobody was within sight after turn.  Pace slows to 5:30 second mile.  Keep running, pace slows again third mile (which included a steep short climb to get back to uptown height).  Turn right and run slight downhill to finish. Drink a powerade, run to Inside Out to meet up for group ride.

Needless to say, the ride didn't feel stellar.

That being said, I got to ride my gorgeous new S5 for the first time this weekend.  It's such a better bike than the Klein that it's hard to really compare.  I love bikes; they are awesome.

No comments: