Monday, August 8, 2011

Anecdotes are fun!

S - 14,400 yards
B - 258.7 miles
R - 44.6 miles

Time - 22.24 hours

I'm going to analogize this week with something that happened on my Saturday afternoon run.  On this most epic of days I was doing my usual out and back of 50 minutes up Selwyn and back home when I was running by a house of not-so-modest proportions, sweating my you-know-whats off, when all of a sudden I heard a slight thump off to my left in a yard.  I looked over and saw a squirrel lying on it's back with its legs sticking straight up in the air, absolutely still.  Not knowing what else to do, I let out a brief laugh because, let's be honest, that's funny!  The squirrel regained it's composure a stride or two later and shot off into the bushes at 100mph.  I've definitely never seen anything quite like that before; to see something so at home in the precarious footholds branches provide come tumbling down to land and be shocked into brief unconsciousness was quite a site to behold.

It's sort of like when you see someone on a bike that is either new to clipless pedals (what a terrible misnomer by the way, that really irks me) or is having a senior moment and forgets to unclip at a stop sign/light/intersection and goes tumbling off to one side.  99% of the time they're not injured but they feel absolutely ridiculous (note: this has happened to me twice; once in my first month of biking and once last year...), probably a lot like this squirrel did and hence why it sprinted off into the shadows.

I felt a lot like this squirrel once Friday rolled around; my foothold on sanity was slipping away and I was feeling tired and loopy.  I was sweaty, tired, and sore and just ready to let go of my branch for lack of something better to do.  On Saturday I fell off, during the free-fall I somehow managed to get in a bike ride and swim and run but that night I hit the ground and was briefly in shock.  My body made a light thud sound as I hit the bed on Saturday night and I quickly lapsed into unconsciousness.

When I woke up on Sunday morning I was in shock, what had happened to me?! I quickly came to the realization that I had 4.5 hrs of workouts to get through and sprinted off in the general direction of my bicycle to get it ready and head out the door.

So the moral of the story is, even when you're in shock and embarrassingly tired/out of it you can still produce some sweet workouts!  Voila, I am a geniuz!

1 comment:

Matt said...

great anecdote! too funny!