Thursday, February 12, 2009

2/12/09

Yesterday I got to do a nice duathlon workout that consisted of an easy 5 mile run followed by a [very] easy 30 minute spin on the bike, followed by a 3.1 mile run with 3 hard strides. All of this was done at the Y so it wasn't the most exciting workout ever but I think it helped mentally because I felt pretty fresh throughout. Not surprising, however, given the low intensity of the workouts. I wanted to take it easy after a hard bike ride and moderately paced run on Tuesday.

Today was a nice tempo run on the booty loop. My goal was to do ~3-4 miles (4 if I felt good, 3 if not) at 170 bpm HR average. I was hoping it would be between 6:00 and 6:10 min/mi pace. I ended up doing 4.14 miles in 24:40 (5:59 pace) with exactly 170 bpm as my average. I felt pretty solid; my stomach was giving me problems throughout (I've been having bad stomach cramps all day and last night) but I gutted them out (pun intended) to get through the run. Only after ~3 miles did I really feel 'warmed up' and that if desired, I could really push the pace.

Next week I'm looking at doing a track workouts with a lot of shorter stuff in it to develop my turnover a bit, something I feel as though I've been lacking for the past couple of weeks. That and the tempo run again (maybe). We'll see how it goes.

No comments: