Monday, December 13, 2010

Last week of being 25

S: 5500 yds
B: 37 mi
R: 42 mi

Time: 9 hours

I don't usually like to make excuses but I think this week's numbers were directly affected by my lack of ability to see properly on Monday on Tuesday.  Most people would like describe vision as their most important and dearest sense and when that is jeopardized everything else becomes less important.  When I was buying new contact solution last Friday I inexplicably chose the store brand when for the last 15 years I have ALWAYS purchased the "name" brand recommended to me by my doctor.  Apparently some store brands use different preservatives and as luck would have it on Sunday of last week I began to experience the downside of being cheap.

Monday was pretty bad as my right eye (and left eye as well but not as strongly) suffered an allergic reaction to the preservatives found in the solution.  Sunday had also been a pain but I assumed it was because I had stayed up late with my contacts in and so consequently wasn't overly worried about it.  I went to bed at 10pm on Monday night with the hope that sleep would heal all evils.  Consequently I did not work out at all on Monday.  Tuesday morning brought with it similar feelings and I realized I had to go to the eye doctor.  As much as I hate going to the doctor my eyes are pretty important to me and are worth keeping healthy.

Luckily, the fix was easy (steroid drops) and by Tuesday afternoon I was feeling MUCH better.  I went for a swim and then my week progressed as it normally would (except for less swimming than normal).  I crammed a bit with running (ran Wed-Sunday but had one double) only had one bike ride (~2 hours for 37 miles with 3x2 minutes of very hard work) but felt like I salvaged what could have been a much worse week (in terms of training and health).

On a happier note, it looks like I'll be joining the Cervelo squad for 2011 (sadly not as a sponsored rider - surprising I know - but as a customer) so hopefully my bike splits will to continue to amaze all those around me.

No comments: