Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tired

Construction is seriously underrated. I have never, ever given enough credit to those guys that slog around a house and put shit together and take shit apart. It's hard to describe how tiring it is to work (what will be) 6 days in a row doing serious manual labor for 8-9 hours a day. I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night but still manage to be exhausted all the time. It's the sort of tiredness that sleep just can't cure. I drank maybe 4 beers last Saturday night and I was very tipsy. I won't say drunk because I just can't admit that to myself yet; that I actually may have been drunk after 4 beers.

But seriously, the ability to do construction for decades (my supervisor Charles has been at it for at least 2 of them and is, btw, a Yankees fan w00t) means you have a man-strength that few can ever possess. Sam and I talked about this once a while ago. He told me that after my year here in Charlotte I'd get that 'man strength;' I had no idea what he was talking about. But after he described it in detail I realized Sam wasn't as stupid as he looks. Even if they don't work out, it always seems that men (not young men like us) are just naturally very strong because they've been around for longer. That is, they've acquired the sort of strength that weights just can't give you: man-strength. Construction workers have this by the bucketfuls. Even the ladays get down and dirty with the man-strength. Carrie, who is one of the other supervisors (late 20s) is ridiculously skinny but exceedingly strong. It's crazy. So, like Sam said, I suppose all of this good work is going to make me buff and manly, something that has eluded me my entire life. Especially the latter.

No comments: